Friday 23 November 2018

S.M.A.R.T targets / 20th - 25th November


In the industry and during education it can often be hard to find the time to self-reflect and aim my projects in a direction that is accurate regarding self-improvement and artistic growth. This is often due to been immersed in the creative process and creating engaging content for personal interest and that of a client. There is a time though where a line must be drawn, and an artist must be self-critical and decisive, this is where ‘S.M.A.R.T’ targets come in! ‘S.M.A.R.T’ Is an acronym that stands for ‘Small’, ‘Measurable’, ‘And’, ‘Realistic’, ‘Targets’. This translates into a weekly review of my current projects and goals for the purposes of artistic growth through accurate and appropriate target setting regarding my current goals and skillset into a concise action plan.

Context of previous weeks
As outlined in the past few posts on this blog, since returning to my foundation degree in Animation & Illustration I have been issued, executed, and finalised work for my first module regarding the subject of character design. This project has given me a lot to think about when attempting to grow as a creative. Since then I have been issued 3 new briefs, firstly an alternative techniques module covering the topic of print making methods, a digital skills module covering the topic of skills building in animation, and finally Personal Professional Development which covers the blogging and reflective process that I'm currently creating this post for.

Last week I was issued the digital skills brief and spent some time planning and prepping my ideas for the project. I Intend to create 4 animated cycles of 5 seconds long which will be looped together with transitions of around 2.5 seconds each. Unsure on the direction I wanted to take this module I spent some time discussing with my tutor about what I would get the most out of when considering my approach to this project. The resulting concept was recorded and thought upon. Essentially last week I generated and recorded ideas and scripted planning for this project.

On Wednesday and Thursday of last week I spent time working on my alternative technique’s module. What processes this consisted of was finalising research regarding artists who use print making commercially, recording and clipping my multiple screen prints into my A3 sketchbook as well as the submission of my devised relief print Illustration which was sent to be laser etched onto 5mm acrylic. I made sure to catch up with admin work by writing out processes, research, and catching up with any design submissions that were required for later stages in the production process.

What I need to reflect on
Originally the digital skills module was supposed to be a continuation of my character design project adapting him into an animated narrative. I made the decision to deviate from this approach as I believe I would be able to get more out of a project that was more obscure as well as losing interest in my original characters narrative. Due to this decision I have significantly less planning ready to guide me into this project and as a result I am potentially at a disadvantage. I need to ensure that I resolve my direction quickly outlining through research how the visuals of my animation will be portrayed and thumbnailing these designs out.

The goal of my alternative techniques project is to stimulate knowledge and growth around the topic of print making. The quality and quantity of my prints does not guarantee success in my project as it is intended as a self-reflective process. I need to ensure that I am accurate in myself reflective cycle to get the most out of this module. I feel that it is necessary that I define a structure into my sketch book approach by utilising a system similar to my SWOT analysis scheme already implemented into my blog. I will address both my Digital Skills module as well as my Alternative Techniques one this week to tackle these obstacles.

Target 1 – Complete research through my blog into character walk cycles, photoshop animation, motion graphics, and Maya animation to support the direction of my Digital Skills module.
As identified in my weekly reflection process above by deviating from my original plan for my project I have left myself at a disadvantage with obstacles regarding the vision for my project. This can have a negative impact on the development and success of my project if I do not address this issue. As an action planned salutation to support against this potential issue I will be creating a few posts on this blog researching into examples of work that I feel is relevant and I wish to study and implement my insight into my digital skills module. I feel this will resolve and tackle the obstacles that I am currently dealing with. I can measure the success of this solution by identifying an increase in quality in my digital skills design outcome. Should I receive a high grade covering the criteria I researched into I can safely confirm that this actioned planned target has been successful.

Target 2 – Create a critical analysis of one of my print batches on my blog utilising my SWOT analysis within my Alternative Techniques module.
Discussed above, I expressed that I felt what was currently missing from my Alternative Techniques module regarding Its intentions and learning outcomes was a concise reflective process. It is vital that I am successful in reflecting on my print techniques to measure the strengths and weaknesses of each technique to be able to consider my project a success. As an action plan to ensure I meet the modules requirements I will apply the SWOT analysis approach to each batch of prints to ensure that I implement the required level of detail within my reflective process. I can measure the success of this target by how high a grade I receive when I get my modules results back.

Conclusion
In response to my outlined goals, this week I will be spending time executing research into walk cycles, photoshop animation, after effects animations, and Maya animations for my Digital Skills module as well as scripting a SWOT analysis for my Alternative Techniques module. I am confident if I complete these tasks that I will generate improved success on each of my projects as a result of this careful pre-week planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts