Thursday 22 November 2018

Character Design Module


The first module that I was issued this year was a character design-based project. Last year I covered my first project covering the creation and execution of a character design as well as the application and communication of creating a character model sheet. The way in which this Module differs from last years is that instead of creating characters based upon design I utilised a character personality as a starting point for this project and used that to inform all of my creative decisions.

The reason behind learning how to develop a character from multiple different approaches and methods is that as a designer you don’t know what a client or your future boss will give you as a starting point for your character project. Therefore, it is integral to have the ability to derive a character from any starting point as well as have deep insight into how to instigate such a process myself.

The first stage in my project covered the scripted development of a character’s personality as well as techniques to generate excellence and a strong believe character from these traits. The following attributes are the starting points for my character design project:



The reasoning behind having a list of attributes for a proposed character is to have an idea of what bias they would draw upon based upon a hypothetical Ego. This Allowed me to have a foundation for the rest of my personality development.




From here I was able to devise a Decision / Reaction Chart as well as a Movement / Motion Chart. This Chart formed the first suggestions into how my characters shape and form could be formed to compliment the personality. I used these charts later on to assist in the development of a physical visual that will visually communicate my characters developed personality.

My character is walking down a path and he accidently steps on a worm; how do they react?

‘Having heard a squelch underneath his step, Marley peers down to notice a flattened worm on the underside of his foot. Closing his eyes briefly and calmly he lets out a passive sigh of sadness, before reaching down to place the crushed corpse into his palm. Gently observing the worm’s body, he concludes that there is no undoing the complete obliteration that has resulted in the death of this creature. After a moment of ponder he casually makes his way over to the side of the path where he digs a shallow whole in the earth and places the worm’s body into the ground. Covering the patch over with soil he states to the world around him “As all are born from the earth so too shall all return”. Just as he completes the process off burying the worm his hand dwells on the soil “And onto the next life with you”. Marley raises his body upwards as he returns to the path departing and thoughtful.’

From here I was challenged with writing a short scene consisting of a descriptive paragraph outlining how my character would behave in response to a given scenario. This approach was to instigate the notion of considering how my character would exist as well as provoke me to consider how his ego would behave.

Characteristics – Stereotype visuals

Rough – Broad, tall, lanky, big build, brutish
Well-read – Glasses, Smart, Well dressed, potentially fashionable, book bag, side satchel, tools,
Free spirit – Dreads, tie dye, bandana, circle glasses,
Artist – Sketchbook, paint covered trousers, pencil behind ear, paint covered hands, moustache,
Smoker – Cigarette box under sleeve, lighter belt
Cultured – Exaggerated cultured attire, niche clothing

Finally, in response to my developed attributes, charts, and descriptive scene I developed a list of physical stereotypes which will form the starting point of my drawn sketches. This will from the beginnings of my personality converted into physical traits



Taking into consideration the scripted concepts that I had outlined at the beginning stages of the project I created various different silhouettes to explore shape and form. These silhouettes were evaluated against my defined attributes giving me a refined direction for me to explore as I reached the next stage in my development. 


Covering my silhouettes with tracing paper I went about drawing out potential character designs with pencil at first and then again with Finer liner resulting in a plethora of characters. From here I circled visuals I liked the looks of whilst and evaluated what I went for against my defined personality.



After much iteration I finally settled on a character design and proceeded to create turn around poses, expressions as well as action poses for my character. These sketches were my first step in realising my final character design outcome. 



Importing my sketches into Adobe Illustrator I created my linework as a vector image to ensure that the quality of my Character was of a high technical standard. The control and technique you can approach in Adobe Illustrator enables a quicker workflow for what I intended with a visual appeal that is of clear industry standard. I can say with certainty that my character now appears in full visual as portraying a personality. The success of my previous stages leading up to my point is portrayed clearly through the resulting impression of my character linework. 


The next step in my character development process nearing the end of my character development process was to identify a colour scheme that I believed would take the potential of my character and push it as far as I could take it. When creating a character using personality as a starting point it is important to utilise attributes such as colour scheme to support the intended impression of the character. During multiple peer discussions I concluded that the colour scheme had to consist of warm colours eliminating multiple of my chosen colour options. Warm colours generally represent a warm and hearty personality which compliments my intentions for the character based upon the outlined personality. 





The conclusion of my colour scheme selection process resulted in a character whose portrayed pallet represents his personality with accuracy. This is not only the intention of my project but is a skillset that is vital for my success in industry. I am confident that my character is comparable to one from industry and I feel that this is a product of my careful planning and developed approach.



Inspired by the Illustrative works of Dave Guertin and Greg Baldwin of Creature Box, the final Character Model-sheet embodies the intentions I had for my developed character “Marley’s” physical form regarding personality conveyance combined with the charm and appeal of a scrap book. When the goals of a creative such as myself are to enter industry the standard of my portfolio is integral to achieving this intention. Therefore, the Character Model-sheet needs to not only contain a good character but be an extension of the characters personality. I choose to base my Model-sheet of a scrap book informed by the works of Creature Box as I believe it makes a statement about Marley’s personality. As a happy hearty guy of course, he wants to document his own life’s experiences in a memorable way that is personal. I am confident that this decision resulted in a character board that is not only appealing but demonstrates my new found understanding of creating a character with personality by utilising visuals to convey it.

Conclusion
This module was a great start for my second year in my foundation degree in animation and illustration and I am confident that it has provided me the opportunity to consider my creative works regarding communication from a new perspective that will benefit me on my journey to industry. My next project will take my developing skill set further due to the committed growth I have gained during this module.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts