Tuesday 7 April 2020

What are my current projects?


Currently I am working on two projects: My first project is my main-focus which is the development of a start-up company called Commaxis Limited. This company will combine my knowledge as an illustrator with my new passion of entrepreneurship. The second project I am working on is my side hustle project, this is something I am doing in and around my first project as a way to expand my knowledge and take time away from the first project. The second project is the growth of a community under the brand label Munchy May. The goal of this project is to have a following and set audience which I can leverage further down the line to generate income. 

Project One – Commaxis Limited

Commaxis is the combination of the words “Commerce” and “Axis”. The intended derived meaning of these two words combined is designed to signify a company that navigates the ecommerce market successfully. Essentially, I wanted to create this company as a way to generate an income which didn’t require me to be employed with a limited wage but something that I could be passionate about and grow into an automated income. By automated I mean putting in the work up front to develop systems that didn’t require my daily management such as say product creation, fulfilment, marketing, customer service, and design development. It is my intention to automate a selection of successful ecommerce stores that I build and develop using software and eventually hired trained staff.

Currently I have registered the company and developed a selection of ideas for potential store niches and brand labels. I am in the process of awaiting the opening of a business bank account where I will invest £1000 that I have saved up as the starting budget for the store. It is my intention that the majority of this budget will be spent on marketing weather that’s through working with influencers or buying Facebook advertisements. At present the current stage I am at is the design stage where I am tasked with selecting and creating 20 products which will feature on my stores launch. I intend to use print on demand companies to produce my stock enabling the option to create various products such as T-shirts, leggings, mugs, and shoes to say a few.

Essentially my current targets for this project is:
  • Create 10 Illustrations to be utilised on products for my company
  • Create 20 mock-ups for these products to be used on the website.



Project Two – Munchy May

Munchy May was originally born as an idea for a personal project which involved me drawing my food everyday for 31 days in May. Originally back in late December of 2019 I was inspired by a selection of artists who actively create what they refer to as an “everyday”. What this is is a shortened phrase that stands for a challenge they have set for themselves where they create a fully realised piece of artwork that they post online daily. They post this on a social media platform as a form of accountability to encourage them to stay focused on their practice. It in its basic form is a challenge artist use to stimulate daily practice.

I decided that I wanted to do this as well and looked into challenges such as “Inktober” and “36 days of type” which are established annual events that have built community’s around a unique set of rules. From January through to February I decided to create my own series of “36 days of type” as an exercise to practice design daily and managed to design letters A through to V before I decided I could no longer keep up with it. During this period, I took the time to plot out made up challenges of my own which I would do once this challenge had ended one of which I called “Munchy May”.

This concept was similar to other events expect it had its own set of rules that It followed, and it would be based in the month of May where no other competing annual competitions were set. As I considered the rules the idea really stuck with me and decided that I wanted to build this into a community that I could leverage within the design and business world. Therefore, at the beginning of march I created the Instagram page for MunchyMay where I have been slowly growing a following using the business strategy called “Theme pages”. A theme page is a media page which posts and reposts other peoples content to grow an audience around a specific niche. Currently MunchyMay functions as one of these pages. But my greater goal is to use this audience as a platform to run the devised annual event and start a movement that I can leverage as a creative entrepreneur.

My current target for this project is:
  • Grow an audience of 1000 followers by the first of May.
  • Design a website for the Munchy May event explaining the rules of the event and providing more information.
  • Create and design a set of images to be used in an information-based carousel post on Instagram to advertise the event to my following.
  • Post a minimum of 4 posts a day.
  • Gain 20 followers per day using the follow for follow strategy.


If you wish to follow the progress for the Munchy May Instagram page you can at: https://www.instagram.com/munchymay/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts