Friday 20 October 2017

SWOT Analysis - Principles of Animation

Due to the recent completion of my first unit studying my level 4 Animation & Illustration foundation degree I shall be completing a self assessed analysis to determine my current skill set regarding this project and how I want to move forward in development. The way in which I shall be analyzing my work is using a structure called 'SWOT' Analysis. 'SWOT' is an acronym for the questions:

  • Strengths - What are the strengths of my unit, research, Pre-production, time scaling & final result.
  • Weaknesses - What are the weaknesses of the aforementioned.
  • Opportunity's - What are the opportunity's that I have come across during this unit, did I take full advantage of them and what opportunity's am I looking for moving forward.
  • Targets - What are my targets to consistently improve my creative works and skill set. The aim of these targets is to set the goals to becoming more industry standard.
Principles of Animation - SWOT Analysis

Strengths
I am confident that the experiments I created, completed, and reflected upon provided me with an enriching experience in approaching and realizing my desired intentions within animation production. I had identified at the beginning of the unit that my strengths lie within digital production, in reflection to this I made sure to spend time experimenting and developing a more traditional approach to animation. I am satisfied that my planned development has followed through enhancing my skill set and traditional workflow.

I feel that all successful animators spend most of their time watching and studying motion and the rest of their time interpreting their findings. Regarding this fact, I feel that my research created a strong foundation for my experiments moving forward due to the level of analysis I applied to my development process. Particularly during the process of viewing the frame by frame process that I had printed out to understand how other animators had translated perceived motion into physical frames.

Conntinuing from my favour over studying motion, by taking the time to study the principles of animation as outlined by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas and deliberating over the details of each principle i feel that I was able to not only achieve percieved movement between frames in my experiment but enhance the experience allowing for more impact when viewed by an audience.  

The main aim of this unit was to learn and grow as an animator, having my final animation clearly make technical improvements in demonstrated understanding from my first animation. I feel when viewing my work, I have made significant strides in my understanding by expressing through my experiments and script understanding and problem solving. In reference to this fact I feel that one of my core strengths is consideration and reflection. Even when I considered an experiment unsuccessful I took the time to understand why, and then make an action plan to move forward.  

Weaknesses
A big flaw that I had when following through my workflow was the time scaling that I gave myself to manage and complete each aspect of the unit. I did not give myself enough time at the beginning of the unit to manage research and planning resulting in the pipeline backing up and causing me to rush later production and potentially miss aspects. This issue in time scaling meant that I couldn't accurately record everything I experimented with, potentially losing out on marks.

Although I am confident that what I learnt whilst researching principles and technique was effective, I spent too long studying small details rather than analysing my development. I should have balanced my writing/thinking time with my experiment/response time to cultivate growth rather than mealy study it. To this degree one of my weaknesses in this unit was how I prioritised my production. 

Purpose was another issue that I identify within my unit, now having the time to reflect on my overall production. Each experiment I completed provided me with a learning opportunity, but I never took the consideration into how I could do more with that. For example, one of my early targets was to produce a loop de loop competition entry under a given theme, this did not come to pass causing my resulting products to lack conceptual depth. 

Opportunity's
This unit was based around the concept of developing, experimenting, and learning about the principles of animation as specified by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas. During my time spent experimenting with my productions I took advantage of the opportunity to identify the effectiveness in how each principle effected the impression that my resulting production had when viewed from a critical view point. This opportunity extended out to not only give me insight into the theory of the principles but the experience and practice of them as well. 

A further opportunity that I was provided with was the ability to gain feedback from my peers and tutors when experimenting and studying animation production. Such response is invaluable for anybody seeking to grow as a content creator. This feedback did not only come in the form of identifying issues when playing back animation but also insight into techniques and problem solving that can be used to remedy potential flaws.  

During industry practice it can be often hard to find the freedom to explore new directions and utilise new techniques, materials, and processes. During my time completing this unit I was given the opportunity to expand on my current experiences by utilising any such materials and techniques that I wished to pursue; stimulating further growth. 

Targets 
In order to consistently grow as an artist, it is imperative that I understand how I can improve in order to allow me skillset to naturally evolve in a productive direction. Reflecting upon my SWOT analysis and my project there are a few key areas which I would like to create an action plan for to balance out my skill set moving forward.   

Target 1- Create a stricter Time plan for each new production moving forward. Take the time to understand what should be done in which period, this will avoid the backlog of earlier tasks ruining later development. 

Reflecting upon my unit as a whole It is clear that the main goal that I need to develop and work on moving forward is how I plan and utilize my time scaling. Making use of time planners and consistently updating and reflecting them is an effective technique that I am keen to focus on in my preceding units. Taking the time to use 'Pre-deadlines' may also prove to be a useful technique to mitigate time usage problems. 

Target 2- Understand the purpose of my production and plan accordingly.
Small study experiments can teach a lot, but without a greater goal I can only learn so much.

As identified in my analysis I could have taken strides to add depth to my animations and learnt a lot more during that process as well as making the outcome contain a lot more interest. As an action plan to consistently improve the conveyance of purpose within my development I shall outline goals and in turn action plan how I will approach these goals to secure substance in my work.

------------------------------------------

Having reviewed my 'Principles of animation' project and applied my feedback into a clear action plan for me to work on, I am satisfied that I have grown from my time developing and analysing my work in this unit. I hope that everyone reading this has taken on board from my experiences and learnt a little something for themselves. 
Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts