Tuesday 10 October 2017

Principles of Animation/Project Dev - Liquid animation tests

Last post I discussed my experiments into animation production regarding my current project studying at university. In that last post I discussed production approaches to animation and methods of how I had created study responses to develop as an animator in understanding and practice.

In this blog post I shall be highlighting more animated responses that I created and explored to give insight into my creative and learning process as well as communicate my intentions, aspirations and so forth within this unit. As stated previously I am keen to explore looser methods of animation by using the 'straight ahead' style of animation approach. After much investigation and in response to my research into Studio Triggers, liquid animation opening sequence I decided that I was interested in exploring liquid animation in it's shape and form as an image sequence. 

 Trigger studios liquid animation sequence 


Before I began the developing process and planning of my liquid animation experiments I downloaded my research video from studio trigger and printed out the full sequence as frames to view, analysis and understand the frame relationship and the impact of the images. What this allowed me to discover is that as an animator you can get away with having a lot less frames than I previously thought as long as they cycle quickly. The impact is from the specification of the frames.

If I was to animate a person punching a rock, as long as I had frames indicating that the man pulled his arm back, and the final arm positioning with at least one frame in-between then the effect would be conveyed, admittingly very quickly conveyed but effectively none the less. 


Liquid animation test one
The first liquid animation sequence that I had decided to draft consisted off a liquid stream slowly drifting onto the screen before been stretched out into a beam across the screen. I wanted to explore and see the clear contrast between natural motion and a 'forced' propelling motion by frame relationship alone.

Storyboard
I had the liquid frames appear loose and gestural. The liquid would expand slowly as one 'wiggly' form at first, but then small holes would begin to emerge across the shape as small globules disband off from it. The second half of the animation would have the liquid been pulled from the top right-hand side across and towards the bottom left hand side of the screen.
 
During my planning stage I intended the colour up process to depict two different colour variations to allow for the animation to seamlessly loop. 

Animation experiment
The final animation experiment followed the exact essence of my planned storyboard but with much more confident lines and detailing. Below shows the final draft of this stage in my first test in liquid animation.

 
Liquid animation test one

This test enabled me much experience and first hand understanding in how frame relationship works and what I can get away with leaving out and what creates more impact when included. I am confident that this experience also gives me insight and experience into how to intuitively manage frame relationship as well as giving me idea into future tests where i can explore it in more detail.

When reflecting on this experiment I outlined that I was keen to explore frame pace and do it in such a way that It is clear to see the difference in pacing and the acceleration. To do this I needed to show two liquid sources on the same page moving at different frame speeds.

Liquid animation test two
The idea I had for this second animation test was to create liquidised emitting waves that picked up in pace as the rings moved further outwardly. The frames in the middle would start of slow as these frames accelerated. This following storyboard outlines the concept:

Storyboard
Shown in the concept there is a duality of expanding bands which start as a small rugged ball before expanding out before breaking apart as the speed increases. I will be using this draft to confirm a hypothesis I have regarding frame pacing and how it will look and the impact it will have. This will enable me to refine my intuition allowing growth for a quicker and more effective productions in the future. 

Animation experiment
The experiment itself was a success, I am satisfied that my idea of how to manipulate pacing allowed me to create an effect that had great impact and felt natural to view.

I had designed this experiment to accurately identify the difference in pacing between two objects as they accelerated in speed separately. Shown below are the results that represent the visual of how I achieved this, I made the objects frames become further spaced apart as the animation went forward. This technique is intended to create the impression that the bands are increasing in pace. But having the 2 bands alongside one another in the frame the pacing would contrast highlighting the effect.




When reviewing this animation test it was clear to identify the success of my hypothesis regarding my experiments results. Once the animation is running the bands appear to increase in pace due to the difference in frame pacing and relationship. What this teaches me is that through frame pace and relationship I can manipulate the perception that viewers have on my animation for various benefits and effects.




For example, if I am animating a car driving and accelerating in pace by adding less frames I can propose the impression to the viewer that the car is increasing in magnitude. The reverse of this can show a decrease in magnitude and effect by adding more frames into the mix. Outlined in the principles of animation is the technique 'Ease in & Ease out' this to my understanding makes utilisation of the frame relationship process that I am taking advantage off. 
--------------------------------

The experiments I have taken the time to investigate have given me the opportunity to develop insight and experience into understanding animation principles first hand through the experience of creating hypothesis and testing these theories out as sequenced responses. I am confident that my growth as an industry animator is continuing to grow in a natural and impactful direction. The next weekly update that I create will cover the workshop experience of animating within Adobe Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts