Monday 16 October 2017

Principles of Animation /Project Dev - Looping background In Adobe Photoshop


Continuing with my weekly updates, last post I experimented with Inks to explore frame relationship regarding video, animation, and the perception of the brain. This week I sought to build on what I had developed in Adobe Photoshop previously by creating looping backgrounds for the purposes of animation production in narrative based concepts.

I shall be doing this by illustrating a background that loops which I will be connecting with multiple techniques and methods through several iterations demonstrating the potential different variations that are possible be utilised in Adobe Photoshop.

Looping background experiment one
The first looping background experiment that I created makes use of simple shapes to demonstrate the technique of how to loop the background creating the illusion that the scene is ongoing infinitely. This experiment makes the foundation for my skills development enabling me to make more complex animations moving forward.


 
minimal desert Looping background

The process within the software that I utilised was to use the video timeline within the motion UI interface of Adobe Photoshop to apply motion to my illustration at a pace that was similar to the speed of a walk cycle. To begin with I key framed the positioning of my background at one side of the seamless looped design and then I moved the positioning till it had completely looped one cycle of the illustration. The important factor to ensure that it loops is to make sure that the first frame and last frame lead into each other.

The illusion of continuation is something that is clearly demonstrated within the animation loop as show cased above. This technique, now that I have gained experience in using it, is something that has opened many doors in my head with how I can take advantage of it when approaching production and problem solving. Next experiment I intend to approach the creation of a looping background intending to create a more complex illustration as my base.

Looping background experiment two
As opposed to last experiment where I used minimal graphics to demonstrate the technique approach that is possible within Photoshop, this experiment I made use of stock photographs to give my looping background a broader complexity and depth whilst utilising this technique.


Grasslands looping background

It is integral for the success of the technique that the background seamlessly loops, this can become difficult when working with a photograph as is so complex in design that binding the edges together can appear difficult a task. The method I used to join this was to utilise an effect within Photoshops software titled 'Displace' which stretches the images around the interface similar to a texture on a plane in a 3d software. From there I used a combination of the clone stamp tool with editing a whole new tree directly over the line that was originally there before editing.

This experience has been a core factor in demonstrating to myself that you can make an effective looping background no matter the complexity invoking depth to any greater animation I may intend to add this into. It is experiments like this one that begin to set the foundation for creating content that is not only effective but is professional by nature. Successful due to the potential innovation that an animator can utilise and apply with some forward thinking and problem solving. 

Looping background experiment three

The previous two experiments defined the introduction and experimentation that I can apply this technique into a further concept. This experiment takes all I have previously learnt and applies it to a greater purpose. During a workshop with my class we were challenged with adding a short animated cycle onto a looping background of our design to make a greater scene out of this technique.

Icberg looping cycle

I created a series of natural shape and forms in Photoshop using the selection tool which I applied textures of ice from stock images to give it a natural expression, interest, and depth. From there I created a looping background in the same process that I outlined previously by using the 'Displace' effect and covering up the gap. In a separate file I created a short 40 frame animation sequence of a ghost flying in from the distance across a path and exciting closely to the front of the implied camera. From there I imported both files as exported. Mov files into Adobe After Effects where I overlaid them to create the final animation cycle.

This experiment has been the final demonstration needed for me to identify how most narrative based cycles can be created in industry to make a cohesive and immersive experience for my viewer to interpret. I am confident that my development in this experiment has given me a clear route that I can consistently take when creating interesting and appropriate content for my desired intentions.

-----------------------------------------
 

These experiments have had a significant impact into my understanding of animation production, approach, technique, problem solving, and how I can plan and build a whole scene within a digital software to a technical high standard. I have outlined my process throughout the highlight of my experiments and I am confident that I have shown clear improvement across my workshop sessions and experimental process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts