Tuesday 14 April 2020

eCommerce Store – Artist Research 3


Stated in my previous post, as with any commercial project it is integral for its success that any designs are based on strategic decisions. As stated, before what this means is that any designs, I produce must appeal to the target audience. After observing various competitors in the niche as well as lead designers celebrated in the community, I have identified a trend in the design patterns that I believe the community leans towards. Using this information, I have selected a set of artists that I will analyse to allow myself the opportunity to learn and decipher the creative rules of the style to begin the process of developing my own for this project. This should allow me to produce artwork that appeals directly to my target market.

Artist Three – Faline San

Faline San is a digital illustrator that is extremely popular within the Kawaii and Cute Niche community. I measure her success as been big due to having 147,000 followers on Instagram with many of her posts receiving a lot of comments from the community showing love and admiration for her creative works. I feel that out of other members in the community who have less support and followers than her that she is a deep influencer and leader in her space as a creative. I am seeking to serve the same audience that she has a strong connection to and therefore logic dictates that it is in my best interest to analyse the elements that she has mastered. Therefore I believe performing a written analysis of her illustrations will allow me to gain deep insight into my target market and how best I can appeal to them.

Other than the strategic decision to learn and observe the aspects of a successful designer In my target market, the reason I am drawn to Faline’s artwork is the way in which it portrays value and lighting to create depth resulting in a more refined degree of appeal when observed. I am also drawn to the experiential concepts that Faline covers in her selected visual aesthetic. I had not considered each specific arrangement of elements that she makes use of within her design but, by using the target market as a lense, it is easy to see why as an artist she has become popular within this community.

Another element that has drawn me to Faline’s illustrations are the color palette that she has shown within her artworks brand and style. Even as someone that is outside the niche looking in, I can observe and understand what is appealing about the color choices that is included within her work; even invoking a sense of appreciation for it myself. Throughout the rest of this blogpost I will be discussing different aspects of Faline’s work and creative process to refine my understanding of her work moving forward.

This illustration portrays to original characters that Faline has created to express herself.


Conceptually Faline’s artwork covers a range of topics within the Kawaii and cute niche but there are 2 key focal points within the majority of her illustrations. The first conceptual theme that is often found within Faline’s work is human characters, often teen girls, wearing fashion heavily inspired by popular aspects of the Kawaii and cute niche. The second conceptual theme that is found within Faline’s work is symbolic items that are popular within this niche such as sweet food, cute animals, magical symbols, astrological elements, and abstract forms. These elements are often used in conjunction to form experimental visuals that stimulate a specific impression that members of the niche enjoy viewing and engage with. Oftentimes the concept of each piece is an arrangement of experimental elements intended to portray a feeling that members of her niche as well as Faline herself identify with. Therefore, one could say the concept of each piece is a symbolic representation of a theme or emotion.

To dissect this concept using an example, the illustration above features original characters designed by Faline as a form of self-expression from the artist. The girls featured outfits are inspired by aspects of harujuku fashion (a niche of fashion popular with this community) as well as underlining themes such as angles and demons. One girl has soft horns on her head as well as a backpack that is fashioning a demon tail and wings. The other has a halo above her head and a backpack that has angel wings.

The concept of this piece can feel abstract, but I believe it captures the duality of the thrill of doing something you’re not supposed to, juxtaposed against the pride of doing something in good faith. The concept was the portrayal of two characters, but the intention was the communication of an underlining theme and representation of a feeling. By observing and analysing the conceptual perspective of Faline’s work I believe I have begun the process of refining my understanding of her artwork. I am keen to apply this in practice through experimenting with what I have learned later in my creative process.

The artwork above portrays an illustration consisting of various elements of the Kawaii and cute culture.

I would define Faline’s illustration style as being a modern twist on vintage Japanese animation combined modern fashion trends and aesthetic choices. On the simple vs complex ratio I would express that Faline’s style is more stylised than based in realism due to the simplification of features and textures. In-fact texture has been removed entirely and utilises soft linework, edges, and colour tones. All colour tones that Faline utilises are pastel in nature meaning that they generally have a lot of white pigment in the pixel ratio. This also means that Faline rarely uses high contrast darker shades within her design excluding the dark tones she uses in her linework. The shading that Faline implements into her designs uses a combination of blocked out highlights and soft shaded light tones when determined appropriate. These soft shaded tones persist the consistency of a gentle and inviting aesthetic.

Faline utilises a style that is very impactful when it comes to portraying warm and cool colours. As an example, if a design is predominantly warm in nature then Faline will utilise cooler colours to balance out the image and generate a visual stimulus to engage with her artwork’s observer.  The line weight is often consistent and although Is very present is finer than the works of Juancho Styler and Drew Millward. All linework within a design is not one consistent colour as well, when appropriate the colour is a softer tone, for example in the flash sheet artwork above the lollypop utilises a dark pink tone rather than black like the other aspects of the artwork.

Lighting plays a vital role within the designs aesthetic but specifically when used by aspects of the design that appear to be glowing. The artwork below features a character that has glowing stars in her hair, this is a design choice that aligns with the concept and them of the illustration but is core to the chosen style. I believe I have learnt a considerable amount about the style and visual aesthetic that Faline implements into her illustrations. I am keen to perform various experiments with this set of rules that I have identified to refine and explore the potential aspects of Faline’s work that would benefit my current project.

The artwork above portrays an original character that Faline designed as a form of self-expression.

The technique that Faline utilises to create her artwork is likely the same as the majority of professional modern designers. I believe that she would likely create her artwork utilising a digital pen display, such as a branded one from Huion or Wacom, within a drawing software such as Adobe Photoshop. There is a possibility that Faline may start her process by sketching directly onto paper, but I believe it likely that she begins by sketching out some thumbnailed compositions, shapes, and forms on a layer within her painting software. She could also as an alternative utilise a tablet-based software such as procreate using an iPad Pro rather than a computer. Once her sketch has been refined and she has decided the direction in which her artwork is going in, I believe that she would then start illustrating more refined linework until she is confident that her linework is satisfactory.

Once the linework has been perfected I believe that Faline would block out the coloured areas implementing gradients where necessary to add depth and define shape or form. Once the colour has been implemented, I believe she would lock the pixels of the linework layer and alter the colour of certain linework sections to stylise and define the forms further with her aesthetic. Finally, she may colour a background out or implement a stock texture of a page of paper to align with her theme’s intentions. Extra attention would be given in a refinement stage to lighting ensuring that each illustration holds a level of atmosphere that is representative to the intended tone that Faline desires to convey. The final image will have a slight amount of noise edited onto the illustration to cause a subtle organic feeling to be defined into the resulting design. Understanding Faline’s creative process is incredibly important If I am to be able to construct an appealing design for my targeted audience and I am confident through this analysis process that I am refining my understanding and ability towards my projects goal.

The artwork above portrays a selection of symbols and objects within the Kawaii and Cute niche.

All of Faline’s Illustrations compositionally are either portraits or flash sheets. This makes sense as the majority of Faline’s content is character based of creative abstractions experimenting with the Kawaii and Cute visual aesthetic. The aim of each of her artworks regarding composition is to be direct. Oftentimes there is little to no negative space with each area not filled with direct subject being used to portray stars, sparkles, or celestial symbols. Due to the nature of each composition, the rule of thirds plays a big role in the spacing of important content. For example, there is never an important detail directly in the centre of the composition, it is always centralised to 4 of the available 9 squares in the rule of third. I believe the direct aim of Faline’s composition is important to the niche I am trying to break into and as a result of this decision I will make sure to experiment with these styles of composition when performing my design method.

The artwork above portrays a portrait of an original character created by Faline.

I believe that like many artists that Faline was influenced by other artists within her niche that were established before them. Qing Han also known by the tag “Qinniart”, in her life before she passed away, made a name for herself for her signature glowing stars. I believe that these glowing stars inspired a myriad of artists within the niche and has potentially become a staple to the niche’s aesthetic. I believe Qing was a clear influence on this artist due to how Faline now incorporates many aspects of Qing’s signature style within her work.

Harujuku is a district in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan that is a major commercial location regarding Japanese youth culture and fashion. It has become known in the Kawaii and Cute niche as been a leader to the Kawaii fashion industry. I believe that the fashion and commercial direction from Harujuku has directly impacted Faline’s art style and will continue to influence her vision and aesthetic decisions. Sourcing Faline’s influences back has provided me with further reference that I can investigate regarding developing an aesthetic for my brand. I am keen to implement these influences into my own design experiments moving forward

I believe the purpose and goal behind Faline’s illustrations is purely self-expression. When researching into her artwork I found that much of her illustrations were in response to her personal life and her interests. I believe that Faline’s artwork is a portal for her to express her inner monologue and receive feedback from her community as a result. I also believe that her artwork is just a response to her own interest in the Kawaii and cute niche. When viewing artwork within the niche that she admires I believe she feels inspired and wants to contribute to the conversation with her own voice. In response to this purpose I am keen to implement my own voice into each artwork to produce a unique impression of the Kawaii and cute niche to generate a response within my target audience.

Faline is the third artist that I have analysed during this projects research phase. I will be performing one more analysis that is different than the previous three outlining the smaller influences to my research stage. This will be posted shortly after this post. Thank you for taking the time to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts