Monday 17 December 2018

Alternative Techniques Part 1 / Screen-printing Process & Body of Work

I begin each step by taping down paper to the table ready for print.


I lay a paint and mixer solution concoction across the top if my screen after I have lined up the mesh to the frame.

Using my squeegee I place it within the paint trail and press down pulling towards myself. Once a full slide has been fulfilled I push back out ensuring all paint has transferred through the mesh. 

The resulting screen-prints will appear as the design that was etched onto my prepared mesh. Here are a selection of examples from my third day of screen-printing.

Here are two selected prints that I felt were my finest from the first run of prints on day three.

I experimented with pulling the paint through in various experimental methods such as juttering the pressure or making swaying motions.

This changed the resulting prints impressions when reviewed after creation.

After 3 to 5 screen-prints have been executed it was important that I wash my mesh intently to ensure that no staining or clotting occurs within my prepared mesh. The photographs above demonstrate how I washed my mesh. 


After I had exhausted all methods of experimentation I attempted to combine methods such as curved sways with juttering motions. 

This print was my favorite that was produced through out the entire module due to the aesthetic appeal which I relate to the tie-dying technique in apparel creation.

I stubbornly continued mixing colours on pre-used mesh designs to explore how the colours mixed over time, the results varied in various interesting outcomes.

This photograph demonstrates how the colours mixed over prolonged periods of time further exemplifying how far I can push certain techniques during this medium. 

Here I experimented with a wide zig-zag motion to explore this avenue of experimentation.

The resulting design outcome is reminiscent of a sigel or warriors symbol.

 I selected complimentary colours to inspect how they blend when reworking previous experimental approaches.

The design outcome reminds me of acid wash techniques within the cloth altering business of apparel.

I explored with how utilising a brush to paint directly through the mesh would translate onto paper, I began by colouring blue circles through a cleaned mesh.

I then went around the gaps of the blue circles with pink the fill out the entire design.

The resulting print outcome portrayed a balanced but faded aesthetic which was interesting to review upon inspection.

Through out the three days of screen-printing work shops I produced a wopping 62 screen-prints in total ensuring through tried and tested first hand experience that I had gained foundational insight and developed ability that will inform my practice for many years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts