Friday 6 October 2017

Principles of Animation /Project Dev - Animating with Inks


Hello everyone! Last weekly update I explored digital animation production that sought to capture and express natural and organic impressions. In contrast to this this post I shall be highlighting an experiment I completed to explore the opposite side of the spectrum. This week I created a quick animation splotching ink, using a straw to blow it as I took pictures through the Dragonframe software to capture motion in all its components.


Ink blotch animation test
The intention I have for this experiment was to set the camera off to take 2-3 pictures/frames whilst I blow the ink through a straw. The hypothesis I created for this suggests that the motion of the ink flow should be captured through this process. This will allow me to collect primary research, experience and understanding in how motion moves across captured image.

This experiment highlights the natural motion of ink and shows that the captured sequence is not that different in motion when compared to the frame by frame image sequence drawing that I have already been creating. The brain functions by snapping several shots at once which is combined to form our vision. When capturing motion through camera a similar effect occurs which tricks the brain into perceiving it as moving image.

This fact in mind teaches me that the barrier for creating immersive, impactful and realistic animation is not the processes that forge the illusion but the creative potential that i have when approaching, problem solving and designing my creative works regarding moving image.
------------------------------- 

This short image sequenced experiment with new materials has given me insight into the illusion of the moving image and how the brain can be tricked into be engaged, immersed and influenced by design choices and frame relationship. I outlined that anything is possible, and the only limit is myself, this invigorates me into pushing my desire as an animator further to continue exploring how far I can take this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts