Friday 22 September 2017

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everyone! My name is Jacob Kennedy I am an Animator and Illustrator currently studying my foundation degree at Newcastle College. This blog will show case my development over the first year of my course giving you insight into my creative work flow as an individual. Sick Juju is the pseudonym I have created to represent the productions which shall be displayed throughout my blog. Firstly, in order to help you understand my work, I would like you to take the time to hear more about myself.

When creating my pseudonym, I wanted to assume an identity that was personal to myself and represented my desires and interests. The inspiration for the name came from my interest in tribal culture. 'Juju' in African culture is their way of representing the karmic system found in modern Buddhism. If you do good things, you receive good Juju and so forth. The word 'Sick' was derived from modern slang meaning good or cool, creating the rough translation of my blog to mean 'Good karma' or as I prefer to view it as 'Fun times'. I have much passion regarding my creative works and it brings me great pleasure to create and share my artwork with people. I feel 'Fun times' or 'SickJuju' represents me as an artist with genuine accuracy.

I do not limit myself to any one technique, material, or process. I am interested and keen to explore a plethora of mediums with my end goal to express narrative. Primarily I hand draw on paper or within Adobe photoshop (Using a pen display) to express and experiment with my ideas. Environment and character design are both topics I am especially excited about when both illustrating or animating my creative works. In my personal artwork I enjoy designing environments which I paint up within adobe photoshop, environments specifically resonate with me due to the endless possibilities of how you can convey intention from a narrative point of view. Broken architecture? Terraformed landscapes, a mess on a bedroom floor? All exciting methods of telling a story from one snapshot of a scene.

Currently in my professional life I work for a video production company called 'NewGen Creative'. The role that I have within the company is as a digital Animator using the Adobe suit as a spear head to my productions. The main style that I incorporate into my work is that of commercial motion graphics mainly using vector based software such as Adobe Illustrator & Adobe After effects. I am keen to express that my strengths lie within digital production using the skills and techniques that I have developed in my previous course studying Animation, Games, and visual effects. 

My aspirations pressing forward into my foundation course consist of developing and improving upon my weaknesses which lie within traditional techniques such as drawing, Inking, painting, and using water colours. I plan to consistently focus on workflows that force me to utilise my weaknesses to explore, hone and experiment with drawn technique and process. It is my intention through this course to refine my weaknesses and combine them with my strengths to push my work to its highest potential. 

In the future, weather I graduate and then continue studying or graduate and focus on my industry practice I intend to create and direct an animated series or short film. I have a vision and a voice, and I intend to let no barrier stand in my path to telling that story and conveying it through effective technical animation technique and visual story telling. A technique, style and method I intend to explore naturally as I study my chosen passion. I hope that you can enjoy viewing my development as I present to you my inner thinking's and experiments here on this blog and that I can potentially teach you a thing or two as I learn. 

Although there is still much I intend to develop below are a range of samples from my portfolio showcasing my current level of creation:

Above Is an environment I designed showcasing a 'Fantasy based home'.

A character board project showcasing a character been shown across 5 different eras regarding popular art styles.


An experimental pattern created within 'Cinema 4d' and 'Adobe photoshop'.

A 'Frame by frame' board extracted from my portfolio showcasing 12 frames in a head spin animation. This 2d animation was part of a bigger scene used in a festivals promotional video.

4 sample character designs I created for a game concept called 'Tribe City'.
   
Showreel from my previous studys in 2016-2017.

Thank you all very much reading! In the posts following this one I shall be enlightening you all on what inspires me creativly and really gets my gears turning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts